Recordings are now available for many of the OCLC meetings held during the American Library Association 2011 Annual Meeting. Please visit the OCLC Web site, choose meetings from the list and click the hotlinks to view the presentations.
2011 American Library Association ConferenceNew Orleans, LA USA
- Americas Regional Council Member Meeting and OCLC Symposium [9 streaming video segments, 2 PDF slide presentations]
The OCLC Americas Regional Council (ARC) met in New Orleans on June 24 at the start of the 2011 ALA Annual Meeting. More than 150 librarians attended in person, and even more participated virtually, to hear updates from the cooperative’s member leadership. The meeting was followed by the OCLC Symposium on The Infinite Collection: Resources in the Digital Age.
- Join the Revolution: Library Management at Web Scale [4 videos, 55 minutes]
Listen as members of the user community share early experiences with Web-scale Management Services and how moving traditional ILS functions to the Web has positively impacted library services, improved the bottom line, and increased global library visibility and collaboration.
- Data, Devices and Discovery: Bringing it All Together with WorldCat Local [Streaming video, 1 hour, 7 minutes]
Listen to how three different universities implemented WorldCat Local and learn from their experiences about what worked and what was challenging. You¹ll hear from Morag Boyd, Head of Special Collections Cataloging at The Ohio State University; Ben Hunter, Head of Cataloging and Collections at the University of Idaho and Elliot Polak, Head of Library Technology at Norwich University.
- End-to-End E-resource Management: How OCLC Makes it Easier [Streaming video, 46 minutes]
New OCLC services let you centralize and simplify management of e-resources from selection and purchase to discovery, delivery and ongoing maintenance. Hear how the new, cooperative WorldCat knowledge base features and data help OCLC members connect users to e-resources in library collections through WorldCat Local, WorldCat Resource Sharing and OCLC’s Web-scale Management Services. Learn how the knowledge base integrates with the new OCLC License Manager to help gain control of all aspects of your license arrangements.
- Jazzing up your library systems with the OCLC Platform [4 Streaming video segments, 54 minutes]
Speakers discussed new opportunities for libraries and their partners to enhance and extend their library management systems through community-developed applications.
- From Charles Cutter to Tim Berners-Lee: Data Quality in the 21st Century [4 streaming video segments, 1 hour 46 minutes]
Lars Svensson of the Deutsche Nationalbibliothek discusses the DNB's work with linked data, Adam Schiff of the University of Washington and Michael Norman of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign talk about their libraries' participation in the Expert Community, and Glenn Patton from OCLC tells about collaborative initiatives involving WorldCat that improve data quality, collective metadata management and access to library resources.
- OCLC Update Breakfast at ALA Annual Conference [Streaming video, 37 minutes]
New Orleans, Louisiana, 26 June 2011. OCLC President and CEO Jay Jordan provides an update on OCLC's activities and strategic directions.
- Creating Cataloging Efficiencies that Make a Difference [Streaming video, 1 hour 8 minutes]
Chris Martire, Director, Member Services, OCLC, welcomed 75 participants to a session during the ALA Annual conference. This meeting included a keynote speaker (below) and lively roundtable discussions.
Bradford Lee Eden, Associate University Librarian for Technical Services & Scholarly Communication, University of California, Santa Barbara, CA, provided an informative keynote presentation,“Transforming Collection Management and Technical Services Operations: the Next-Generation Technical Services (NGTS) Initiative of the University of California Libraries.”
- Two-click Article Sharing through WorldCat Resource Sharing and the WorldCat Knowledge Base [Streaming video, 51 minutes]
The integration of WorldCat Resource Sharing and ILLiad with a knowledge base and license management tools saves time for library staff and delivers faster access to electronic resources. Hear about the impact of article sharing on OCLC member libraries and their users.